January 29, 2012

Strawberry Banana Muffins

With our school's blood drive right around the corner, I needed a muffins for blood donors to eat after donating. I didn't want muffins that were too sweet, and was hoping to make muffins that were hearty, healthy, and dense. These Strawberry Banana muffins did just the trick! I love adding bananas to muffin and bread recipes because they help make the muffins extra moist and dense without adding extra butter or oil. I will definitely keep this recipe in my repertoire of go-to favorites! I have also included the nutritional information per muffin below! With 200 calories, I like to say these muffins give you bang for your buck because they are definitely hearty.



STRAWBERRY BANANA MUFFINS
1 cup butter
3 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
4 large ripe bananas
2 cups chopped strawberries
4 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. salt




CREAM CHEESE DRIZZLE:
2 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cream the butter and bananas in mixer. 

Add eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth and combined.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, light brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.

Fold the chopped strawberries into the flour mixture. This will ensure the strawberries do not sink to the bottom of the muffins when baking.

Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir until just combined. The mixture will still be slightly crumbly.

Divide the batter among 24 greased muffin cups. 

Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick just comes out clean. Allow to cool.

Beat 2 ounces cream cheese, 1/3 cup powdered sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla extract.

Adapted from Joy of Baking.

Yield 24 Muffins.

Nutritional Information (one muffin with cream cheese drizzle) Calories: 209,
Carbohydrates: 27, Fat: 9, Protein: 4, Fiber: 1.

Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. I just recently made strawberry banana bread too, but I love the ideas of individual muffins! By the way, I just found your blog (and love it!), and we are SO similar...I love to bake, am a runner, and attending college in South Carolina next year...pretty crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lauren! Great minds think alike with the strawberry banana bread! I checked out your blog, and I LOVE it! I am definitely going to keep checking back to see your latest posts. It sounds like we are very similar, except as strange as it is, I don't actually like chocolate - crazy, I know! I do bake things with chocolate though which is probably good for my health so I don't eat so much :) I am always looking for ways to improve my photography skills, and recently been trying to get photos accepted to TasteSpotting, so far I only have 2 accepted submissions. I love the photos on your blog, and I can totally relate to drooling over dessert photos on food blogs. I too love biology and am probably going to major in it next year (I am going to Furman University in SC). Good to hear from you!

      Delete
    2. Ah, I might have to call you a little crazy for not liking chocolate haha! But thank you so much!! I'm also continuing to try and improve my photography so my photos get accepted on a regular basis. I am going to Clemson, but I've heard Furman is beautiful. I can't wait to see what you bake in the future, glad I found your blog :)

      Delete